Overdose of Heartgard – How to Spot it and What to Do

Our pets take great care of us; they provide love, accompaniment, affection and even exercise to create a better quality of life for humans. Isn’t it only fair that we do the same for them? Heartworm is one of the most catastrophic illnesses that a dog can get, but that is only if it is not properly treated. Heartgard cloudy pool water is one of the most in use forms of treatment for heartworm disease, most likely due to the fact that it is nearly always effective. It can eliminate the worms that infect your dog’s heart and save it’s life, so needless to say Heartgard is an crucial part of any canine’s heath regimen. However, it can also be dangerous. Those who don’t know how to administer Heartgard to their dog can unintentionally cause an overdose of this medication and if not taken care of, an overdose of Heartgard can be lethal to your canine friend.

How Can a Dog Get an Overdose?

A dog can get an overdose of Heartgard in a couple of ways, but normally your administration will result in the overdose. Also, sometimes piggish dogs will get into the box and eat them and if they do that, they normally eat them all. In this case, you want to make sure that you always have it entirely out of the reach of your pet for their own good. It could be the difference between life and death!

What Happens During an Overdose of Heartgard?

The thing about Heartgard is that if your dog is already afflicted, you have to try another route to treatment. Heartgard is about prevention, not treatment so if you suspect your dog could be infected it is crucial to seek a veterinarian in advance. If you administer Heartgard and you suspect that your dog might be infected, there are some ways of being able to tell for sure. If your dog looks or acts dizzy and wobbles about, or is acting like he or she cannot see and bumping into things, that is one hint of an overdose. Also, if your dog is weaker than normal or is vomiting or shaking immensely, that is another hint of a Heartgard overdose. Obviously, fainting is another hint, but hopefully your pet’s overdose won’t go that bad.

How to Treat an Overdose of Heartgard

The only way that you can treat an overdose of Heartgard is to take your pet to the veterinarian. There is nothing that you can do from home and if you notice strange behavior and find that it is caused by an overdose of Heartgard it is crucial to act immediately. Obviously, an ounce of prevention is preferred in this case. Not keeping it in the house or putting it away from your pets is a great way of avoiding this from happening at all. Sure, your dog doesn’t know better than to overdose on Heartgard, but you do know better.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *